Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Duct Tape Headands

Materials needed:
• duct tape (any color or colors of your choice)
• headband
• craft knife
• scissors
• goo-gone (optional but I recommend this to keep your scissors and craft knife from getting gooped up)

Duct tape is always fun to work with. I have made wallets and purses but one day I decided to make a head band. I got an old one and ripped off the ribbon and covered it with duct tape. It was bright green with white roses. I gave it to my little niece and when she wore it to school all of her teachers wanted to know where she got it. So I was inspired to make more.

To do this project I ordered blank headbands online but you can also use old ones or buy a cheap one and revamp it.

I got multiple colors of duct tape (black, white, silver of course, pink, teal, green, orange, purple- I have seen other cool ones as well but I went with the solid colors that I could find).

To start this project I just jumped in and learned along the way the best way to go about it. I will try to share some of my tricks here and hopefully you will understand.

First I pulled a long piece of duct tape off the roll and stuck it to the headband underneath area. Then I snipped the corners off and placed little slits all around on the tape that overlapped the headband so I could lay it flat onto the headband. Then I taped those little overlapped parts down on the top. Next I got another big piece I placed on the top and did the same overlapping it to the bottom part. Then I added details such as stripes (which I did by ripping the duct tape into thin strips and positioning them on), bows (I find the best way is to fold down a little more than 1/3 and then fold in the other side so that no sticky side is showing, then I would take a small skinny piece of duct tape and tape it over for the middle part or I would just tie it into a bow), or flowers (again fold down 1/3 towards the sticky side and then I round off the corner I am starting with and then start twisting it up "fluffing" the sides as I go), and leaves (here I just place 2 pieces of duct tape on top of each other sticky sides together and cut out a leaf shape) then use duct tape to tape it together and then you have a stylish fun headband! (Props to my little sis for being my beautiful model).










1 comment:

Warren said...

cool. you have an awesome talent in using duct tapes, though I don't really use headbands since I'm a guy, lol but that's a very cool talent indeed. Very Artistic, keep up the good work. :)