Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Picture Frame

Materials Needed:
• picture frame
• scrap pieces of paper
• Mod Podge
• vinyl contact paper
• etching cream
• silk flowers
• rhinestones
• craft knife
• 2 photos
• cardboard
• hot glue & hot glue gun



This is a frame I made for my little sis who is going to camp for 3 weeks. I wanted it to be fun and funky and several layers. I bought a frame that was simple but had a 3-dimensional quality since I had planned to make it with layers. Then I grabbed my scrap pieces of paper and Mod Podge and decoupaged the frame (I took out the glass and mat board and back piece off). On the back area where the back piece would fit in I tried to keep any paper and Mod Podge off of it (it didn't work out to well but I will get to that).

While I waited for the sides to dry I got the glass and cleaned it thoroughly and then placed the vinyl contact paper on top of the glass where I wanted to etch the glass (it's a bit hard to see all the etching in the photo above but it adds a nice frosted layer to the frame). When they vinyl contact paper was in place and the bubbles smoothed out I drew a leaf vine type design on 2 of the corners and then got my craft knife and cut out the design. Next I got the etching cream and brushed it on according to the instructions and waited the directed amount of time. Then I rinsed it off thoroughly in warm water and took the stencil off then cleaned the glass again.

When the frame was dried I placed the etched glass into the frame. Then I printed out the photos I wanted to use. One for the foreground cut out collage style and black and white and the other to be the main picture. Then I figured out where I wanted the front picture to be placed and hot glued cardboard behind it to make it more 3-dimensional.

Once the pictures were in place I put the back of the frame on, which as you know I had some issues with- I guess some Mod Podge or paper got into the spot or something. So I grabbed my craft knife and trimmed the back board to fit into the frame snugly.

Once that was all done I hot glued little purple bows and some of those silk flowers I have lying around and rhinestones on top. Now she will have a nice handmade picture frame to bring with her to camp.

No comments: