Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Duct Tape Monstar Coasters

Materials Needed:
• duct tape
• craft knife
• scissors
• self-healing cutting board



Duct tape is always a fun medium. For this project I highly recommend working on a self healing cutting board because you can stick the duct tape down on it to cut it and peel it off easily.

To start I got my self healing cutting board and taped strips of one color of the duct tape to make the background once I had one side down I flipped it over and placed strips of the same color down but in the opposite direction (ie. if you laid your first ones down horizontally the other side was laid down vertically giving it a more secured base). When I had a big enough area covered in duct tape front and back I cut out a square (this would be the size of the final coaster). Once that was done I created my monstars using by laying down a few strips of color for the monstar base and then I cut it out to the shape I wanted. Then I placed it on top of the square and trimmed off any that wasn't on the square. Then I added a duct tape boarder in a different color. To do this I just laid out a piece of duct tape and cut it in half length wise, then taped it on the sides and folded it over to the back. Then I would tape down a piece of the desired color and cut out little details that I wanted to add.

What is nice about working with duct tape- if you place something and want to change it you can easily pick it up and move it.

No comments: