Wednesday, June 24, 2009

T-Shirt Monstar Pot Holders

Materials Needed:
• old t-shirts or scrap material
• quilt batting
• sewing machine & thread
• needle & thread
• scissors




*close up


*close up

To make these fun little pot holders I grabbed some of my scrap t-shirt material and picked the one I wanted for the background and cut out a "square" (no exact measurements again). I used that first one I cut out as a template to cut out another of the same fabric and 2 of a different fabric for the back. Next, using my template, I cut out some quilt batting the same size (you will need at least 2, I used 4 because I wanted mine to be well insulated). I machine sewed the bating to the fabric, right side of fabric out. I did this for the other 3 sides as well. Then I took my 2 front pieces and cut out shapes from my other scrap t-shirt material and made my monstar on top. When I got it the way I wanted it I hand stitched the monstar onto the top fabric and top batting. When I was finished I put the monstar facing down on top of the back piece facing up (right sides together) and stitched with my machine all the way around leaving a large gap to flip it inside out. The first time I didn't leave enough space to flip it forgetting how bulky it would be with the 2 layers of batting so I had to seam rip it and re-sew. Then once it was flipped inside out I hand sewed it shut.

No comments: