Friday, June 19, 2009

Scented & Colored Epsom Salts w/ Etched Glass Jar

Materials Needed:
• glass jar
• Epsom salts
• soap dyes
• soap scents
• decorative bow
• vinyl contact paper
• etching cream
• craft knife




* detail of etching

This is a simple project that makes a great gift.

To start I cleaned the jar thoroughly and placed the vinyl contact paper on top and drew what I wanted to etch into the glass (ie. the heart in the close up photo). Then I got my craft knife and cut out the parts that I wanted to be etched and brushed on my etching cream. I waited the amount of time indicated on the instructions and then rinsed it thoroughly in warm water and then peeled the vinyl contact off and cleaned it again.

Once it was dried I put the Epsom salts inside (not filling it too much) and put a few drops (about 10 for the size I used) of both the sent (Japanese lotus blossom) and the color (I started with green). Then I stirred it until the color looked pretty mixed in then I added more Epsom salts and more color (this time I added blue to give it a sort of tie-dyed effect). Then I closed the jar and shook it around stirring the colors. Then to finish it off I tied a bow around the neck of the jar and now it is a perfect gift to give. And what is nice is that when the Epsom salts are gone you can put a candle inside the jar and the etching takes on a whole new life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these! I think that I would like to do something like this to use as favors for my Baby Shower!